Results 1 to 3 of 3...
Philippi's Reenactment of first Civil War amputation; Mummies "not involved"
Visitor Tips and News About First Amputation of the Civil War
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The First Amputation of the Civil War will be reenacted in Philippi, WV on May 31 and June 1. On June 3, 1861 Confederate J.... [04/30/1997] Complete News Story
First Amputation of the Civil War
Floyd Hanger, 80, sent us a pile of info on his great grand-dad, who was the First Man to Lose a Leg in the Civil War! Amazingly, this happened in Philippi, WV, hometown of the Mummies of the Insane. The first land battle of the Civil War happened in Philippi on June 3, 1861. Confederate J. E. Hanger was hit by a cannonball, had his leg amputated by a Union doctor, later invented an artificial limb, and started a company which became one of the largest manufacturers of wooden legs in the world. There's a plaque in Philippi that commemorates the fateful cannon blast.
[Floyd Hanger, 12/15/1996]
August 28, 2015
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Big Metal Rooster, Wardensville, West Virginia
- Braxton County Monster Chair, Gassaway, West Virginia
- Hillbilly Hot Dogs - We Got the Weenies, Lesage, West Virginia
- Big Chair, Elkins, West Virginia
- The Farnham Colossi, Unger, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: John Deere Tractor and Engine Museum, Waterloo, Iowa
- Lonely Putt-Putt Giraffe, Ontario, Ohio
- Roy's Cafe Motel - Famous Sign, Amboy, California
- VHAS's Statue of Liberty, Vineland, New Jersey
- Big Honza's Museum of Unnatural History, Montgomery, Minnesota