Results 1 to 3 of 3...
Philippi's Reenactment of first Civil War amputation; Mummies "not involved"
Visitor Tips and News About First Amputation of the Civil War
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The First Amputation of the Civil War will be reenacted in Philippi, WV on May 31 and June 1. On June 3, 1861 Confederate J.... [04/30/1997] Complete News Story
First Amputation of the Civil War
Floyd Hanger, 80, sent us a pile of info on his great grand-dad, who was the First Man to Lose a Leg in the Civil War! Amazingly, this happened in Philippi, WV, hometown of the Mummies of the Insane. The first land battle of the Civil War happened in Philippi on June 3, 1861. Confederate J. E. Hanger was hit by a cannonball, had his leg amputated by a Union doctor, later invented an artificial limb, and started a company which became one of the largest manufacturers of wooden legs in the world. There's a plaque in Philippi that commemorates the fateful cannon blast.
[Floyd Hanger, 12/15/1996]
May 24, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Pope John Paul II Outside a Restaurant, Wheeling, West Virginia
- Tiny Church, Elkins, West Virginia
- Giant Apple Time Capsule, Martinsburg, West Virginia
- Reproduction Stockade Fort, Point Pleasant, West Virginia
- Wheeling Island Flood Memorial Wall, Wheeling, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- The Road to Nowhere, Bryson City, North Carolina
- Fierce Lake Erie Shark, Port Clinton, Ohio
- Wine Fountain, Shandon, California
- Alien Fresh Jerky - Saucer Lights, Baker, California
- Lost in Space Robot, Titusville, Florida