Results 1 to 3 of 3...
Philippi's Reenactment of first Civil War amputation; Mummies "not involved"
Visitor Tips and News About First Amputation of the Civil War
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The First Amputation of the Civil War will be reenacted in Philippi, WV on May 31 and June 1. On June 3, 1861 Confederate J.... [04/30/1997] Complete News Story
First Amputation of the Civil War
Floyd Hanger, 80, sent us a pile of info on his great grand-dad, who was the First Man to Lose a Leg in the Civil War! Amazingly, this happened in Philippi, WV, hometown of the Mummies of the Insane. The first land battle of the Civil War happened in Philippi on June 3, 1861. Confederate J. E. Hanger was hit by a cannonball, had his leg amputated by a Union doctor, later invented an artificial limb, and started a company which became one of the largest manufacturers of wooden legs in the world. There's a plaque in Philippi that commemorates the fateful cannon blast.
[Floyd Hanger, 12/15/1996]
July 4, 2015
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Circus and Carnival Mini-Museum, Moundsville, West Virginia
- Marx Toy Museum, Moundsville, West Virginia
- World's Largest Teapot, Chester, West Virginia
- Pope John Paul II Outside a Restaurant, Wheeling, West Virginia
- Tiny Church, Elkins, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Giant Bowling Pin, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- High Bridge, New York, New York
- House of Mugs, Collettsville, North Carolina
- Coffee Mug House, Collettsville, North Carolina
- Mrs. Doubtfire's House, San Francisco, California