Results 1 to 3 of 3...
Philippi's Reenactment of first Civil War amputation; Mummies "not involved"
Visitor Tips and News About First Amputation of the Civil War
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The First Amputation of the Civil War will be reenacted in Philippi, WV on May 31 and June 1. On June 3, 1861 Confederate J.... [04/30/1997] Complete News Story
First Amputation of the Civil War
Floyd Hanger, 80, sent us a pile of info on his great grand-dad, who was the First Man to Lose a Leg in the Civil War! Amazingly, this happened in Philippi, WV, hometown of the Mummies of the Insane. The first land battle of the Civil War happened in Philippi on June 3, 1861. Confederate J. E. Hanger was hit by a cannonball, had his leg amputated by a Union doctor, later invented an artificial limb, and started a company which became one of the largest manufacturers of wooden legs in the world. There's a plaque in Philippi that commemorates the fateful cannon blast.
[Floyd Hanger, 12/15/1996]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 18, 2013
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Smoke Hole Caverns, Cabins, West Virginia
- Circus and Carnival Mini-Museum, Moundsville, West Virginia
- The Pumpkin House, Kenova, West Virginia
- Tiny Church, Buckhannon, West Virginia
- Sammy's Mountain Marbles, Ellenboro, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Geode Grotto, Jasper, Indiana
- Pete The Plastic Pelican, Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina
- Ice Cream Parlor Bison Statue, Avalon, California
- Finton Shaw's Metal Sculpture Garden, Conway, Arkansas
- Dedeaux Clan Giant Rocking Chair, Gulfport, Mississippi
Latest Visitor Tips