Belle Fourche, South Dakota: "Center of the Nation" Monument
A large engraved patio allows you to stand in the exact spot of geographical middleness -- sort of -- for novelty snapshots.
- 415 Fifth Ave., Belle Fourche, SD
- I-90 exit 10. US 85 north ten miles. A couple of blocks north of the railroad tracks at Faulk St., on the right, on the north side of the Visitor Information Center and Tri-State Museum.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Geographical Center of the U.S. (Visitors Center)
Visitor Tips and News About "Center of the Nation" Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The tourist-friendly visitors center is up and running. We stopped by in July 2009. Outside, there's a walkway lined with state flags and the centerpiece, a large stone compass noting Belle Fourche as the geographic center of the 50 states. While tourist-friendly, the center isn't exactly accuracy friendly. The real center is about 13 miles north.
[Steve Cook, 11/23/2009]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 24, 2013
South Dakota Latest Tips and Stories
- Original 1880 Town, Murdo, South Dakota
- Rest Stop Tiny Church - Eastbound, White Lake, South Dakota
- Boondocks 1950s Retro Complex, Deadwood, South Dakota
- Rooftop Dragon, Mitchell, South Dakota
- Feature: Wild West Historical Wax Museum - Closed, Wall, South Dakota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
- Ice Cream Cone Shaped Building, Kissimmee, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips