Topeka, Kansas: Locally-Famous Big Wren Statue
It's not just a big wren, it's a really big little bird. Formerly stood atop the broadcast studios of radio station WREN.
- SW 12th St., Topeka, KS
- In the median divider between SW 12th St., SW Huntoon St., and SW Topeka Blvd, at Huntoon Park, in a former fountain.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Locally-Famous Big Wren Statue
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The wren sat atop radio station WREN, Topeka (second radio station in Topeka) since 1947 before being installed at its present location in 1993. It was constructed of wire mesh and concrete by an unknown artist sometime during the 1930s when the station was then located in Lawrence, Kansas. Former Governor and 1936 Presidential candidate Alf Landon purchased the station in 1952.
It has become a local landmark and was purchased by The group Historic Topeka after initially having been sold to a developer and scheduled to be moved to Branson, Missouri. It was restored by Buck Thomas, who also repainted it.
[Phil Pasquini, 04/20/2007]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 24, 2014
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- World's Largest Ball of Twine, Cawker City, Kansas
- World's Largest Czech Egg, Wilson, Kansas
- Norman No. 1 Oil Well and Museum, Neodesha, Kansas
- Geographic Center of the 48 states, Lebanon, Kansas
- Dennis Hopper's Muffler Men, Dodge City, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Cateraptasaurus, Rosedale, Maryland
- Mother Mary's Totem, San Luis, Colorado
- Penobscot Narrows Observatory and Bridge, Prospect, Maine
- Big Travel Mug, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
- Mr. Potato Head Pizza Guy, Providence, Rhode Island
Latest Visitor Tips