Martinez, California: Home Of The Martini
The stylish drink is claimed to have been invented by a Martinez bartender in 1874.
L.M. Lasell Co.
- 911 Alhambra Ave., Martinez, CA
- The spot is marked by a small plaque on a small rock on the northeast corner of Alhambra Ave. and Masonic/Thompson St. At the corner of the parking lot for L.M. Lasell Co.
Home Of The Martini
Visitor Tips and News About Home Of The Martini
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
An official plaque in a corner of the parking lot reads "In 1874, Julio Richelieo, Bartender, served up the first Martini when a miner came into his saloon with a fistful of nuggets and asked for something special. He was served a "Martinez Special." After three or four drinks however the "Z" would get very much in the way. The drink consisted of 2/3 gin, 1/3 Vermouth a dash or orange bitters, poured over crushed ice and served with an olive."
Erected by Juaquin Murrieta Chapter 13 Clampus Vitus. Dedicated April 11, 1992.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 18, 2013
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Suspension Bridge, San Diego, California
- Antique Vibrator Museum, San Francisco, California
- Giant Easter Island Moai, Hollywood, California
- Biggest West Coast Hindu Temple, Calabasas, California
- Avenue of Faces, Tehachapi, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Sit In A Spaceship, Wallace, Idaho
- Center Of The Universe, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Russell's Travel Center, Glenrio, New Mexico
- Totem Pole Trading Post, Rolla, Missouri
- Giant Campbell's Soup Can, Fort Collins, Colorado
Latest Visitor Tips