Newport, Rhode Island: The Feet and the Wave
A bronze sculpture of feet sticking out of a breaking wave; a popular photo-op.
- Memorial Blvd., Newport, RI
- Southwest side of downtown, at the corner of Hwy 138A/Memorial Blvd and Thames St. Across from the US Post Office, along the sidewalk.
The Feet and the Wave
Visitor Tips and News About The Feet and the Wave
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Is it feet? Is it a wave? Remarkably, there is a sidewalk statue, a permanent wave on Thames St and Memorial with feet sticking out. It's a "hey look!" attraction caught by most. But really, whose feet are they really? Many rumors are amiss; some say Greta Garbo, Merle Haggard, Dorothy Lamore, Billy Carter, or Susan Lisella. It's a mystery whose answer is often sought by checking the size with socks. Throughout the year various socks, red, blue, plaid are mysteriously attached to the feet during cover of darkness. Many people have claimed to be the owner of the feet, but official confirmation and documentation have yet to be presented!
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 2, 2015
Rhode Island Latest Tips and Stories
- Grave of a Suspected Vampire, Exeter, Rhode Island
- Scrap Metal Scorpion, Exeter, Rhode Island
- Feature: JFK's Rejected Grave Slab, Newport, Rhode Island
- Big Travel Mug, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
- Mr. Potato Head Pizza Guy, Providence, Rhode Island
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: World's Largest Collection of Autographed Baseballs, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Flea Market Mascot Big Cow, Savannah, Georgia
- Blue Angel Weather Vane, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Cathedral of Junk, Austin, Texas
- Old Hardhide - Town Gator in a Cage, Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips