Anchorage, Alaska: Gravity HillDefying the laws of gravity and common sense, vehicles appear to roll backwards up unofficial Gravity Hills (there are many).
- Upper Huffman Rd., Anchorage, AK
- Seward Hwy O'Malley exit - go almost all they way to the top of O'Malley. Just before the top take a right onto Hillside Dr. About a mile down the road turn left onto Upper Huffman Rd. Drive over the top of the first hill and down to the bottom. This is the spot, only you need to turn your car around and let it "gravitate" in the direction you came. Drive to top of 2nd hill for a good place to turn around.
- Public road. Hazard flashers recommended. Use at your own risk.
Visitor Tips and News About Gravity Hill
We followed the instructions for the Anchorage Gravity Hill and came to a complete stop, put the car in neutral and then waited. In a matter of seconds, our car was pulled up the hill at a fairly good speed -- even on the ice and snow.[Mark McCormack, 11/19/2009]
Yes Anchorage has its own gravity hill, and we love taking people up there. Follow the directions, put your car in neutral and let it roll all the way to the top.[K. McLay, 07/10/2007]
Perhaps this is the USA's northernmost gravitational anomaly?
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Grave of Annabelle, Painting Elephant, Anchorage, AK - 2 mi.
- Snow Plow Train, Anchorage, AK - 4 mi.
- Sentry Storage Guards, Anchorage, AK - 8 mi.
- Northernmost U.S. Monument to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Anchorage, AK - 9 mi.