Bayard, Nebraska: Chimney Rock
A rock so eye-catching that it made the back of the Nebraska state quarter. The Indians thought it looked like something that can't be mentioned here.
Chimney Rock National Historic Site
- Chimney Rock Rd, Bayard, NE
- The Chimney Rock Visitor Center is a half-mile south of Hwy 92 on Chimney Rock Rd, just west of the junction of Hwy 92 and US Hwy 26. Visitors aren't allowed near Chimney Rock, but you can get a good view from the Visitor Center or, really, from any nearby road. Just pull over and snap some pictures.
- Daily 9 am - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
- Adults $3.
Chimney Rock's Indian Name
Visitor Tips and News About Chimney Rock
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Chimney Rock is a nationally prominent landmark along the Oregon Trail. The US Mint depicts it on the reverse of the Nebraska quarter.
"According to early fur traders, Native Americans named the rock after the penis of the adult male elk. This made more sense to people who had lived for centuries in the natural world on the plains than comparing the rock to a feature from a white man's building. Prim and proper Anglo-Americans, though, overwhelmingly preferred the more delicate 'chimney.'" ["Elk Penis -- Chimney Rock's Original Name." Exhibit. 16 June 2007. Chimney Rock National Historic Site, Bayard, NE.]
[Chuck Rhode, 07/24/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Missile Center USA - ICBM Missile, Kimball, NE - 37 mi.
- Dobby's Frontier Town, Alliance, NE - 37 mi.
- Carhenge, Alliance, NE - 38 mi.
- Rest Stop - Hay Bales, Easy Chair, Toilet, Alliance, NE - 40 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
April 18, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Nebraska Latest Tips and Stories
- Muffler Man - Indian, North Platte, Nebraska
- The Les Vilda Presidential Museum and Library, Wilber, Nebraska
- Chadron Fur Trade Days, Chadron, Nebraska
- Lighthouse In Landlocked Nebraska, Gretna, Nebraska
- Small Police Station, Friend, Nebraska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Champions For Humanity: Mount Rushmore of California, Oakland, California
- Statue of Pegasus, Jacksonville Beach, Florida
- Large Floating Rubber Duck, Jacksonville, Florida
- Swamis - Self Realization Fellowship, Encinitas, California
- Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson Statue, College Park, Maryland
Latest Visitor Tips