Talkeetna, Alaska: Mountain Climber MemorialA towering whitewashed pole scaled by carved wooden climbers. Also in town, at the Fairview Inn, "Dead Man's Wall," with its photos of killed climbers. Talkeetna is a starting point for Mt. McKinley ascents.
- 2nd Street, Talkeetna, AK
- Right on to east 2nd street coming off the Talkeetna spur road, in the town graveyard, across from the airport.
Visitor Tips and News About Mountain Climber Memorial
In the town of Talkeetna's cemetery, a tall pole scaled by chainsaw-carved figures stands as a tribute to dead mountain climbers.[Adam Scott Lankford, 10/17/2007]
Talkeetna is a jumping off point to climb Mt. McKinley. The cemetery also features a stone monument with an ice axe, and a bulletin board listing mountain climbing fatalities. Stop in the Fairview Inn in town to check out the "Dead Man's Wall" with its photos of killed climbers.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Cat Mayor, Talkeetna, AK - < 1 mi.
- Batmobile, London Bus, VW Ladybug, Houston, AK - 53 mi.
- Musher's Hall of Fame, Knik, AK - 61 mi.
- In the region: Northernmost U.S. Monument to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Anchorage, AK - 77 mi.