Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Vancouver Centennial Rocket Ship
Bronze and steel, 12 feet long, and very Buck Rogers in its design. It was unveiled in 1986 as a tribute to a beloved 1936 Vancouver parade float that'd been thrown away.
Vancouver Centennial Rocket Ship
Visitor Tips and News About Vancouver Centennial Rocket Ship
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
A bronze and stainless steel sculpture of a pulp Science Fiction Golden Age rocket ship is angled on a steel wedge in Vancouver's Cambie Street Plaza. The 12-ft. long spaceship is based on a design for a parade float used in 1936; it survived on display at the Vancouver Air Terminal until 1972, when rust did it it. This more corrosion-resistant replica was created in 1985 by the local sheet metal workers union, unveiled in 1986 for the 100th anniversary of the founding of Vancouver.
A time capsule at the sculpture's base will be opened in 2036.
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 12/20/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Giant Sparrows, Vancouver, BC, Canada - < 1 mi.
- Very Large Abacus, Vancouver, BC, Canada - 1 mi.
- Steam Clock, Vancouver, BC, Canada - 1 mi.
- Silver House On Stilts, Vancouver, BC, Canada - 2 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 5, 2013
British Columbia Latest Tips and Stories
- Very Large Abacus, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Police Museum: The Milkshake Murderer, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Esso Gnome: Largest in Canada, Nanoose, British Columbia
- Paul B in Squamish, Squamish, British Columbia
- Giant Raspberries, Abbotsford, British Columbia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Longest Epitaph In Granite, Bloomington, Illinois
- Coffinwood, Pahrump, Nevada
- White Squirrels of the Pacific, Dana Point, California
- Grave of the Oldest Civil War Soldier, Chillicothe, Iowa
- Munch Box, Chatsworth, California
Latest Visitor Tips