Death Valley, California: Scotty's Castle
Big digs built way out in the middle of nowhere by con man who was swindling a rich doofus.
- Scottys Castle Rd, Death Valley, CA
- Out on Rt. 267 near the NV border. Note -- no fuel at the castle, and the nearest gas is 45 miles away.
- Daily 9 am - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Scotty's Castle
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
"Big digs built way out in the middle of nowhere by con man who was swindling a rich doofus."
That database note of ours ably sums up Scotty's Castle, but we probably need to provide a little more info:
The con man was Death Valley Scotty -- one Walter Scott, who spent years touring the world with Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show, and as a desert surveyor. His mark: rich Chicago businessman Albert Johnson, who believed Scott's claim about a Death Valley gold mine. Johnson came out to the site after giving Scott lots of money with no results, and the desert climate improved his health. Ultimately Johnson financed and built the southwestern/gothic hybrid "castle" in the late 1920s, with Scotty a permanent, colorful fixture.
The castle was sold to the National Park Service in 1970. The rangers dress in 1939 period clothing and conduct 50 minute long living history tours.
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 02/03/2008]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 20, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Urge - Robot Mimics You, San Francisco, California
- Speaking in Tongues Began Here, Los Angeles, California
- Smitten Ice Cream, San Francisco, California
- Ice Cream Parlor Bison Statue, Avalon, California
- Statue of Old Ben, Hungry Sea Lion, Avalon, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 25-Foot-Tall Santa with Thick Head, Watson, Saskatchewan
- Big Green Dinosaur, Wharton, Texas
- Feature: National Knife Museum, Sevierville, Tennessee
- Metalmorphosis - Giant Head, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Feature: Mud Island, Memphis, Tennessee
Latest Visitor Tips