Eagle River, Wisconsin: Albino Deer
A pale woodland oddity on display behind glass at the public library.
Olson Memorial Library
- 203 N Main St, Eagle River, WI
- Olson Memorial Library. North side of town, east of US Hwy 45.
Visitor Tips and News About Albino Deer
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In April 1982, drivers on US Highway 45, between Eagle River and Conover, were entranced by a strange vision: a grazing albino buck with pink eyes. The 2-year old deer was spotted repeatedly in the North Woods, munching in the Spring snow melt along the road.
A week later, the buck was dead, hit by a car. Someone had the presence of mind to preserve the carcass and mount it for display. Today you can check out this white-pelted oddity in the window of Eagle River's public library -- positioned in mid-dash, perhaps as a reminder to the community of the seasonal hazards of unpredictable creatures.
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 02/04/2008]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 22, 2013
Wisconsin Latest Tips and Stories
- Giant Flamingo, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
- Serial Killer Ed Gein's Second Grave Marker, Emerald Grove, Wisconsin
- Scale Model of the World's First Ferris Wheel, Columbus, Wisconsin
- Gravity Hill, Shullsburg, Wisconsin
- Giant Chicken, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
- Ice Cream Cone Shaped Building, Kissimmee, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips