Springfield, Illinois: Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum
- 212 N. Sixth St., Springfield, IL
- I-55 exit 98B. Drive west on Clear Lake Ave. into town. Clear Lake turns into Jefferson St. The museum is on the corner of Jefferson and 6th St. Turn right on 6th, and drive two blocks to the parking garage.
- Daily 9 am - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
Designed by Disney "imagineers" so there's not much to read, but lots of flashy effects and a "pose with the Lincolns" wax dummy photo op. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum: The Chicago Sun-Times has published a muckraking report suggesting that the Lincoln stovepipe hat currently displayed in the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, Illinois, may not be Abe's at all. [01/26/2013] Complete Story...
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum: When it comes to Abe Lincoln, tourist attractions haven't been shy in finding ways to cash in and merchandise. [12/28/2008] Complete Story...
Visitor Tips and News About Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum
Surprised this is on Roadside America. Attraction lacks quirkyness that other attractions exude. Felt like a corporate-driven museum. Also not impressed by a lady soliciting us to join the foundation for $70.00 for 4 tickets at the entrance. This was billed as a cost savings to us, but in doing the math, that would be four tickets for the cost of six. If you do not have children, would recommend skipping.[Heather And Eric, 04/08/2012]
A brief but memorable exhibit is going up in the atrium of the Lincoln Museum: a 3-D recreation of the hanging of Mary Surratt, the only woman executed in the plot to murder Lincoln (we saw her Bonnet of Death at a museum in Georgia). Also on exhibit will be props from the film The Conspirator, which follows Mary's trial and death (they include a plastic ball-and-chain and two execution hoods).
As for the museum, it's showcasing Lincoln's actual bloody gloves as the "artifact of the month" during all of April, as part of its recognition of the 146th anniversary of Lincoln's assassination. The gloves go back into storage May 1; the Surratt exhibit ends May 5.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 03/26/2011]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Lincoln Ledger, Springfield, IL - < 1 mi.
- Abe Lincoln Pixel Mural, Springfield, IL - < 1 mi.
- Departure Point Of The Donner Party, Springfield, IL - < 1 mi.
- Cozy Dog Drive In - Birthplace of Hot Dog on a Stick, Springfield, IL - 3 mi.