Johnston, Iowa: Giant Pitchfork41 feet tall, and ready to pitch some serious hay.
- 7301 NW 62nd Ave., Johnston, IA
- In front of a Pioneer Hi-Bred building. From I-80/35 along the north side of Des Moines, take exit 131 and turn north on Merle Hay Rd. Continue north to NW 62nd Ave. and make a left and head west. The building will be on your right after a few miles, just before you get to the third roundabout.
Visitor Tips and News About Giant Pitchfork
The Giant Pitchfork may be gone from Ames, but it didn't go far. It can now be found in front of a Pioneer Hi-Bred building in Johnston, about 35 miles south and slightly west of its former location.[Mike W, 06/17/2014]
I was there this last weekend checking out everything in the area. Much to my compatriots dismay, the Pitch Fork is no longer there. The Target is there as is a giant field, but no pitch fork. Unless we just missed it, but being 30 feet and all, I doubt that happened...[Ashley Craig, 05/04/2013]
Clarence Martin, who built the 41-foot-tall pitch fork -- and ran the steel fabrication shop next door to it -- died in late 2009. He worked out of a railroad caboose, and, according to his obituary, was building a six-foot-long gold-plated ear of corn at the time of his death. He will be missed.
And they light it up for the holidays![Mark, 05/11/2010]
A very large 5-tine pitch fork was constructed in 2003 by a local welder.[Bill Diesslin, 05/04/2008]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Pondering Rabbit, Des Moines, IA - 7 mi.
- Alphabet Heads, Des Moines, IA - 8 mi.
- Big Hands And Wrenches of the Plumbers and Steamfitters, Des Moines, IA - 8 mi.
- Crazy Sculpture Park, Des Moines, IA - 10 mi.