Newhall, California: Oak of the Golden DreamWas gold found here first, before California great Gold Rush? That's the claim. Historical Marker, the Oak. And there's another Golden Dream Oak in Placerita Canyon Natural Area Park.
- Sierra Hwy, Newhall, CA
- California State Landmark No. 168, Sierra Hwy above Placerita Canyon Rd.
Visitor Tips and News About Oak of the Golden Dream
There is an oak tree and park in Placerita Canyon, where it is said that GOLD was first discovered in California. Before Sutter's Mill! It is a State historical park and has a marker. It is located off the 14 fwy. on Placerita Canyon Road. Juan Francisco Lopez in 1842 was said to have fallen asleep under the oak tree. He woke up and pulled some wild onions from the ground and found some glittering gold in their roots. He had the gold tested in town and it confirmed that it was in fact real GOLD! California's first gold rush was under way.[Abbe Gore, 01/03/1999]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Horse Drawn Hearse Under Glass, Newhall, CA - 2 mi.
- Heritage Junction - Death Poker Table, Movie Train, Newhall/Santa Clarita, CA - 2 mi.
- Western Walk of Stars, Newhall, CA - 2 mi.
- In the region: Fountain of Concrete Bedpans, Los Angeles, CA - 24 mi.