Newhall, California: Oak of the Golden Dream
Was gold found here first, before California great Gold Rush? That's the claim. Historical Marker, the Oak. And there's another Golden Dream Oak in Placerita Canyon Natural Area Park.
- Sierra Hwy, Newhall, CA
- California State Landmark No. 168, Sierra Hwy above Placerita Canyon Rd.
Oak of the Golden Dream
Visitor Tips and News About Oak of the Golden Dream
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
There is an oak tree and park in Placerita Canyon, where it is said that GOLD was first discovered in California. Before Sutter's Mill! It is a State historical park and has a marker. It is located off the 14 fwy. on Placerita Canyon Road. Juan Francisco Lopez in 1842 was said to have fallen asleep under the oak tree. He woke up and pulled some wild onions from the ground and found some glittering gold in their roots. He had the gold tested in town and it confirmed that it was in fact real GOLD! California's first gold rush was under way.
[Abbe Gore, 01/03/1999]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
November 27, 2014
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Point Mugu Missile Park, Port Hueneme, California
- Beatles/Classic Rock Ice Cream Shoppe, Pacific Grove, California
- Bliss Dance, San Francisco, California
- Piano Staircase, Hollywood, California
- Bono's Giant Orange Stand, Fontana, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Housewife-Whacking Meteor Fell Here, Oak Grove, Alabama
- Feature: Alabama's Housewife-Whacking Meteorite, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Blue Whale, Catoosa, Oklahoma
- Biloxi Katrina Trees, Biloxi, Mississippi
- Grave of Sam Kinison, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Latest Visitor Tips