Ortonville, Minnesota: Paul Bunyan's Anchor
Bunyan had a boat? Apparently. A big granite slab on a crude giant coat hanger sits next to the Stone County Museum.
Stone County Museum
- 985 US Highway 12, Ortonville, MN
- SW corner of intersection of Hwys 12 and 75, in an area locally known as "hilltop."
Paul Bunyan's Anchor
Visitor Tips and News About Paul Bunyan's Anchor
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Up on the hill overlooking Big Stone Lake and the mouth of the Minnesota River is Paul Bunyan's Anchor. This GIANT chunk of granite is apparently the largest piece cut from the surrounding granite quarries. Thousands of years ago Ortonville and the land north all the way to Hudson Bay was covered by a gigantic glacier lake named Lake Agasis. While Paul was out fishing one day, he threw his anchor up on the hill, and voila! The lake is true, however I don't know how much to believe about the anchor. But anyone traveling through should check it, the view is spectacular along with some great history and information posted near the anchor.
[Lesley Moorhead, 05/11/2000]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Salt Lake...of Minnesota!, Marietta, MN - 23 mi.
- Worlds Largest Lutefisk, Madison, MN - 23 mi.
- Big Mallard, Wheaton, MN - 35 mi.
- Liberty Bell, Viking, and Mural, Milan, MN - 28 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 22, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Drive A Tank, Kasota, Minnesota
- Mosquito Statue, Effie, Minnesota
- Tin Man Family, Faribault, Minnesota
- Jolly Green Giant, Blue Earth, Minnesota
- Warrior King Jesus on a White Stallion, Owatonna, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Lizard Lick ATM, Lizard Lick, North Carolina
- Roundtop Gas Station, Sherwood, Arkansas
- Quill Pen and the Writer's Desk, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Wizard of Oz Garden, Mapleton, Illinois
- Image of Jesus Christ on a Tree, Rochester, New York
Latest Visitor Tips