Silverton, Oregon: 10 Waterfalls - Walk Behind OneAt least one. The waterfalls are in Silver Falls State Park. You won't even get wet.
Silver Falls State Park
- 20024 Silver Falls Hwy SE, Silverton, OR
- Roughly 15 miles south of Silverton on Hwy 214. Turn off at the South Falls Picnic Area C parking lot. From there it's a short walk to go behind South Falls, and a longer walk to go behind Lower South Falls, which is wider.
- Dawn to Dusk. (Call to verify)
- $3 for day use.
Visitor Tips and News About 10 Waterfalls - Walk Behind One
Absolutely gorgeous! For sure worth the long hike![Kelly Hatch, 06/11/2012]
There are actually four waterfalls that hikers can walk behind at Silver Falls State Park. South and North Falls are open year-round and make for easy hikes.
Silver Falls is now a relatively kitsch-free state park. This was not always the case. Back in the 1920s, the people who owned the land floated beater Model Ts over South Falls and charged admission. In 1928, daredevil Al Faussett went over the falls in a canoe. The guy rope that was to guide the canoe safely and slowly down the falls snapped, but Al survived the plummet with major injuries.
An "Al Faussett Days" celebration is still held annually, although no daredevil stunts are involved.[Jane Scheppke, 11/20/2008]
Silver Falls State Park in Silverton, OR is beautiful natural area. There are more than 10 Waterfalls in the park along with one that you can walk behind. And you won't even get wet! The trail is pretty short, and paved, but it is steep and not recommended for kids or pets. Remember good shoes. There is another trail that is 8.7 miles, that takes you around the park to 10 different falls. I haven't done that one, but I hear it's amazing.[Jody Day, 07/14/2008]
With so many waterfalls, you'd think there'd be one you could drive behind as well...
Nearby Offbeat Places
- 45th Parallel Sign, Silverton, OR - 11 mi.
- Home of Bobbie the Wonder Dog, Silverton, OR - 11 mi.
- World's Largest Pig Hairball: Mount Angel Abbey Museum, St. Benedict, OR - 14 mi.
- In the region: Salmon Swimming Through Building, Portland, OR - 44 mi.