Ellenboro, West Virginia: Hillybilly Marble Maker Sam HogueSam Hogue crafts large glass marbles and will demonstrate his techniques to any visitors.
Sam's Mountain Marbles
- Lee St., Ellenboro, WV
- Sam's Mountain Marbles, Star Route 83, on Old Route 50 at Lee St. A large sign in town points to the studio behind Sam's house.
- M-F 8:30 am - 3:30 pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Hillybilly Marble Maker Sam Hogue
Hillbilly Marble studio and workshop is in his backyard, literally. Sammy gave us a full demonstration on his marble-making, using his handmade mini-marble workshop. He melted the glass and showed us the whole process for making the different shapes of colors inside the marbles.
There are marbles everywhere. There is even a little studio to buy some of his handmade marbles! We were there for at least an hour! We drove 2 hours out of our way to check this place out and it is was worth it![Tatum, 02/04/2013]
What you need to put on the West Virginia page is Sam Hogue, the marble maker in Ellenboro. You can go into his shop and watch him dance to his hillbilly music and make his creations on the spot. You will want to buy one or two from his own little office next to his shop. My wife and I spent three hours there. It was a remarkable exhibition.[Robert C. Wilmoth, 07/16/2008]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Oil and Gas Museum, Parkersburg, WV - 28 mi.
- VP Aaron Burr's Death Mask: Seditionist Island Utopia, Parkersburg, WV - 28 mi.
- Muffler Man, Parkersburg, WV - 27 mi.
- In the region: Shenandoah Crash Site #3, Sharon, OH - 44 mi.