Thousand Oaks, California: $150,000 Copper Curtain
Thousand Oaks, California - $150,000 Copper Curtain
Visitor Tips and News About $150,000 Copper Curtain
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Do this one at 65 MPH. Adjacent to and overlooking Highway 101 in Thousand Oaks is a 50 feet by 60 feet Copper Curtain sculpture. Unveiled in 1994, the "curtain" is located on the 10 story Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Center. The $150,000 sculpture was intended to represent a fluttering curtain, but the original design was changed by city officials who feared the 2,000 loose-hanging strips could distract, or worse, fly off during strong winds and hit nearby motorists. So the copper strips were secured to prevent movement turning architect Antoine Predock's art into what has been called by critics an over-sized air vent or a refrigerator grill. Catch this one while it lasts. The City of Thousand Oaks is making plans to revise the Copper Curtain.
$150,000 Copper Curtain:
Address: 2100 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., Thousand Oaks, CA
Directions: Thousand Oaks Civic Art Center Copper Curtain. Best viewed heading west on Highway 101 between the Hamshire Road exit and Rancho Road exit.
Hours: Daylight Hours
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 29, 2015
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Dee Dee Ramone's Grave, Hollywood, California
- Safari Inn - Movie Motel, Burbank, California
- Once-a-Year Monarch Butterfly Grove, Pismo Beach, California
- Statues of Dinosaurs and Monsters, Borrego Springs, California
- Feature: Crockett History: Sugar, Sturgeon, Switchboard, Crockett, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips