Southport, North Carolina: Graves of the Gentleman Giant, Singing Ghost TonyThere's also a headstone in this haunted cemetery engraved "Joe's Legs."
ld Smithville Burying Ground
- 545 E. Moore St., Southport, NC
- In the Old Smithville Burying Ground, at the corner of Hwy 1528/211 (E. Moore St.) and N. Rhett St. Near the water, three blocks north of Howe St.
Visitor Tips and News About Graves of the Gentleman Giant, Singing Ghost Tony
The noted graves are hard to locate. Would like to come back and actually know where to look. The headstone giving the finger has fallen; it is inside the gate where the historical marker is and a few rows in on the leftish side. This cemetery is in pretty poor condition, with many worn and broken headstones. The sites are not arranged in any sort of chronological order.[Marissa, 07/31/2012]
19 year old Tony Caseletta was an Italian immigrant and musician that relocated to the Southport area in 1882. With him were his wife and children. Tony quickly became well known in the area for his beautiful music. Tony's family stayed at the Brunswick Hotel, now the Brunswick Inn.
In 1882, the ship Tony was riding in on his way to work sunk. He was the only casualty. Apparently, Tony was done with his music career, and today supposedly haunts the inn and the cemetery. The cemetery is typical southern spooky, loads of Spanish moss, dark corners, Freemasons and the like. It is worth a look-see for those who love the weird.
Besides Tony's grave, there is also a headstone that reads "joe's legs" and one that looks like it is giving visitors the bird (it's not, it is supposed to be pointing up) and the grave of Elias G. Gore, a local giant. Yes giant. Burial site of Elias Gerthal Gore, Southport's Gentleman Giant. Known as Nehi, he stood 7-feet 11-inches and weighed 400 lbs. Born, January 1906, Died, March 1944.[Emma Koziarski, 08/23/2008]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Memorial to a Bunker-Dwelling, Mysteriously-Dying Hermit, Kure Beach, NC - 6 mi.
- Mary's Gone Wild - Bottle House, Holden Beach, NC - 16 mi.
- Tregembo Animal Park (Tote-Em-In Zoo), Wilmington, NC - 16 mi.
- In the region: Fisherman and Shark Photo-Op, Myrtle Beach, SC - 46 mi.