Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: Anchor Shaft Blown Miles From Exploding Ship
The SS Mont Blanc blew up in Halifax Harbor in 1917. Part of its anchor shaft, weighing over 1100 pounds, flew clear over the city and landed here, more than two miles away.
- Spinnaker Dr., Halifax, NS, Canada
- West of the city. Hwy 102/Bicentennial Drive to exit 0 (zero). Turn south onto Joseph Howe Drive and drive one mile to the traffic circle. Take the second right onto Hwy 349/Herring Cove Rd. The road will quickly divide, and just as it does turn left onto Purcells Cove Rd, then make another quick left onto Spinnaker Drive. Drive to the first intersection (Anchor St.). The anchor shaft will be on the far left corner, in a tiny park.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Horrible Explosion Relics
Visitor Tips and News About Anchor Shaft Blown Miles From Exploding Ship
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The anchor shank from the Mont-Blanc can be found at the corner of Anchor and Spinnaker Dr just off the Purcell's Cove Rd.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Human-Shaped Disaster Window, Halifax, NS, Canada - 2 mi.
- Theodore the Tugboat, Halifax, NS, Canada - 2 mi.
- Largest Hammock in Canada, Seabright, NS, Canada - 15 mi.
- In the region: Hopewell Rocks, Walk Into the Bay of Fundy, Hopewell Cape, NB, Canada - 95 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
September 18, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Nova Scotia Latest Tips and Stories
- Giant Hammock, Seabright, Nova Scotia
- Giant Fiddle, Sydney, Nova Scotia
- World's Largest Fiddle, Sydney, Nova Scotia
- Joe's Scarecrows, Cheticamp, Nova Scotia
- Theodore the Tugboat, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Billy Tripp's Mindfield, Brownsville, Tennessee
- Babe the Blue Ox and Bunyan, Rumford, Maine
- Large Drunken Pink Elephant, Fortville, Indiana
- See Birch Bark Canoes Made, Bigfork, Minnesota
- Feature: The Windsor Ruins, Port Gibson, Mississippi
Latest Visitor Tips