Kensington, Maryland: Easter Island HeadRendering of a moai stood outside a Wheaton auto repair shop reportedly owned by someone from Easter Island, or maybe just someone from Polynesia. Moved to Kensington.
- 3700 University Blvd W, Kensington, MD
- Getty gas station on University Blvd West at Lexington St.
Visitor Tips and News About Easter Island Head
The Easter Island Head is fairly well-kept except, unfortunately, the left side that is dented in. My pediatric practice recently moved to Kensington and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that our office is very close to it![Scott Wissman, 09/14/2013]
The Easter Island Head has moved from Wheaton to Kensington. It's at the Getty gas station on University Boulevard West at Lexington Street. The paint job looks new, but sadly, someone has bashed the head in on the right side.[Julie Mangin, 11/11/2011]
The Easter Island Head has reappeared at a gas station in Kensington on University Blvd (heading east) just beyond where Connecticut Avenue splits off from University. He got a new paint job yesterday and looks just dandy and brand spanking new![Larry Bram, 05/15/2011]
The Easter Island Head is in Silver Spring, MD. I know there are signs that say Wheaton all over there but it really is Silver Spring.[T. Au, 04/05/2008]
The usual jurisdictional confusion -- the police station is listed as in Wheaton! -- so we'll fudge it and use both towns for now.
The head is quite impressive although a bit weather beaten as you can see from the picture. It makes a great backdrop for a picture if you want to look like you are somewhere in the South Seas, or if you like Tiki Bars or play in a surf band.[Kevin, 05/15/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Mormon Temple - Fairy Tale Rockets, Kensington, MD - 1 mi.
- Longest Single Span Escalator in the Western Hemisphere, Silver Spring, MD - 1 mi.
- National Museum of Health and Medicine, Silver Spring, MD - 2 mi.
- In the region: George Washington's Home, Grave, and False Teeth, Mount Vernon, VA - 22 mi.