New York, New York: Giant Needle and ButtonA literal way to honor New York City's "Garment District," where there was a whole lotta sewing going on.
- Seventh Ave., New York, NY
- Garment district right by Times Square, W. 39th St. and Seventh Avenue.
Visitor Tips and News About Giant Needle and Button
Was out enjoying New York City with some friends when I came across this monster of a sculpture. Found in a book I own. Quite massive and hard to miss... Well that is unless you're like me (missed it the first time around... saw it on our way back through, due to never being in New York City and constantly looking up at the tall buildings).[Tyler Salls, 12/24/2008]
The sculpture was unveiled in 1996; the needle is 31 feet long and the button is 14 feet wide (There's a 22-foot-tall sewing needle sculpture in the Kansas City, Missouri, garment district). Nearby is a bronze statue of a yarmulke-clad man toiling at a sewing machine. Unveiled in 1984, it was modeled after sculptor Judith Weller's garment worker dad.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Madame Tussaud's New York, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Wooden Escalators, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Misleading Movie Plaque, New York, NY - < 1 mi.
- Monument to the Father of Gynecology and Experimenter on Slave Women, New York, NY - 3 mi.