Geothermal mixture of mud, ash and water pleasantly burb and croak.
- Davis Rd, Niland, CA
- West of hwy 111 near Salton Sea, corner of Davis Rd and Schrimpf Rd.
Results 1 to 4 of 4...
Visitor Tips and News About Mud Pots
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The splurgy sounds are other-worldly. [Lance, 01/05/2015]
You're going to be tracking the clay-like mud everywhere. So bring an extra old pair of shoes. [Imperialjoe, 09/09/2014]
As soon as you turn onto David, the mud pot mounds are to your right!
Mud Pots near the town of Calipatria. The mud pots are formed in geothermal areas where there is water pushing the ash or mud up to the surface forming mini volcanoes. This is a virtually undiscovered area where one can get up close and personal as the mud pots burp, gargle and croak without a sign to mark their presence and without a fence to protect them.
This area is on the St Andreas fault and there are power generating stations in the area using geothermal techniques to generate electrical power. [Rod Bahnson, 02/21/2009]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 27, 2015
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Dee Dee Ramone's Grave, Hollywood, California
- Safari Inn - Movie Motel, Burbank, California
- Once-a-Year Monarch Butterfly Grove, Pismo Beach, California
- Statues of Dinosaurs and Monsters, Borrego Springs, California
- Feature: Crockett History: Sugar, Sturgeon, Switchboard, Crockett, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips