Niland, California: Mud PotsGeothermal mixture of mud, ash and water pleasantly burb and croak.
- Davis Rd, Niland, CA
- West of hwy 111 near Salton Sea, corner of Davis Rd and Schrimpf Rd.
Visitor Tips and News About Mud Pots
As soon as you turn onto David, the mud pot mounds are to your right![Shana, 01/15/2013]
Mud Pots near the town of Calipatria. The mud pots are formed in geothermal areas where there is water pushing the ash or mud up to the surface forming mini volcanoes. This is a virtually undiscovered area where one can get up close and personal as the mud pots burp, gargle and croak without a sign to mark their presence and without a fence to protect them.
This area is on the St Andreas fault and there are power generating stations in the area using geothermal techniques to generate electrical power.[Rod Bahnson, 02/21/2009]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- World's Tallest Flag Pole, Calipatria, CA - 6 mi.
- Salvation Mountain, Niland, CA - 7 mi.
- General Patton Memorial Museum, Chiriaco Summit, CA - 33 mi.
- In the region: Shields Date Garden in the Date Capital of the World, Indio, CA - 53 mi.