Salt Lake City, Utah: Pony Express SculptureCelebrates a time when "Going Postal" meant taking a long ride on horseback. For all its landmark glorification, the Pony Express only lasted as a service for 18 months.
- 2601 Sunnyside Ave., Salt Lake City, UT
- Heritage Park, Sunnyside Ave. and Crestwood Dr.
Visitor Tips and News About Pony Express Sculpture
Nice statue, several of them actually. Little tricky to find. It is inside the park.[L Peterson, 09/23/2013]
This sculpture memorializes the Pony Express, which carried mail from St. Joseph, MO to Sacramento, CA from April 1860 - March 1861 and from Salt Lake City, UT to Sacramento, CA from March 1861 - November 1861. Riders rode 10 miles. It took 10 days to reach Sacramento from St. Joseph.[Joe Boulter, 03/11/2009]
The Pony Express continues to attract historical interest, though its actual operation was short-lived -- it came and went in a 17 month period. That's less time than many interesting-but-extinct delivery systems during the early Dot-com days. How come there are no monuments celebrating the "push" heroics of PointCast?
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Real Place Where Brigham Young Said "This is the Place", Salt Lake City, UT - < 1 mi.
- Apocalrock Visitor Center: Miracles on View, Salt Lake City, UT - 3 mi.
- Gilgal Garden, Salt Lake City, UT - 3 mi.
- Muffler-Chested Man Sign, Salt Lake City, UT - 6 mi.