Pall Mall, Tennessee: Sergeant York's GraveSgt Alvin York was America's top Hun-killer in World War I, and his large grave plot is still festooned with flowers.
- Wolf River Loop Rd, Pall Mall, TN
- On US Hwy 127 eight miles north of Jamestown. Follow the signs on the Wolf River Loop Rd to the small cemetery, on the north side.
Visitor Tips and News About Sergeant York's Grave
Go over to the York family grist mill. Sgt. York's grandson is a park ranger there -- great story teller.[Poltergiest, 09/10/2011]
We were driving through the country in Tennessee on US127 when we saw signs pointing to Sgt. York's grave site. While it appeared that you had to walk quite a way (about 1/2 mile as I recall) to the site, we drove on and were surprised to find another sign at the Wolf River Loop road. We followed the road to the very tidy Wolf River Cemetery where Sgt. York is buried along with many of his relatives. It's a very nice memorial to a great American hero.[John Holmes, 03/28/2009]
Sgt. Alvin York was an American war hero of World War I, assaulting a German machine gun nest where he killed and captured plenty of the enemy, and for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor. A 1941 movie, Sgt. York, told his story. World War II's upgrade on Sgt. York was Audie Murphy.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Hometown Monument to the First American Killed in Vietnam, Livingston, TN - 23 mi.
- The Minister's Tree House - Temporarily Closed, Crossville, TN - 39 mi.
- Civil War Grave in a Parking Lot, Burkesville, KY - 29 mi.
- In the region: Giant Cross, La Follette, TN - 41 mi.