San Francisco, California: Television's First Broadcast Image
Historical marker notes where Philo T. Farnsworth broadcast the world's first successful electronic image on September 7, 1927.
Television's First Broadcast Image
Visitor Tips and News About Television's First Broadcast Image
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
"The Genius of Green Street" -- as Philo T. Farnsworth, television's inventor, was known --broadcast the world's first successful electronic image from his modest laboratory located in this building. That first image broadcast on September 7, 1927 was a dollar sign! Perhaps the first broadcast image said it all.
The inventor many years later stated that there was nothing worthwhile on television and that he wouldn't watch it in his house.
The building today is a California Registered Historical Landmark.
[Phil Pasquini, 04/17/2009]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Bummer and Lazarus, Dog Pals, San Francisco, CA - < 1 mi.
- Topless and Bottomless Club Birthplace, San Francisco, CA - < 1 mi.
- San Francisco's Last Tumbleweed, San Francisco, CA - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Pumpkin Farm, Labyrinth, Gladiator Battles, Half Moon Bay, CA - 29 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 30, 2014
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Building Shaped Like a Camera, Westminster, California
- Teddy Bear Made of Boulders, La Jolla, California
- Dr. Seuss and Cat in the Hat, La Jolla, California
- World's Largest Jack O' Lantern, Wilmington, California
- Feature: Junk Sculpture of Star Wars C3PO, Emeryville, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Wolf's Museum of Mystery, St. Augustine, Florida
- Yellow Submarine, Hobart, Washington
- Dinosaur Ridge, Morrison, Colorado
- Detroit Chimera Graffiti Mural, Detroit, Michigan
- Lizard Butte, Marsing, Idaho
Latest Visitor Tips