Garden Grove, California: Crystal Cathedral
World's first modern Christian megachurch is an over-the-top see-thru edifice that seats almost 3,000. Served as the broadcast ministry of Robert H. Schuller's "Hour of Power." The Cathedral was completed in 1980, designed by architect Philip Johnson, with 10,000 panes of glass in steel frame made to withstand an 8.0 magnitude earthquake. In 2011, sold in bankruptcy proceeding to the Catholic Diocese of Orange.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Crystal Cathedral
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
It's not glass; it's plexiglas. It will only be a cathedral when the Catholics, who bought it, occupy it with their bishop. The place is run down, due to the problems the Schullers have had in maintaining their dynasty.
[David Lintner, 07/05/2012]
The cathedral is an amazing architectural glass structure edged with beautiful gardens and statues.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 9, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Casa de Fruta, Hollister, California
- Santa Cruz Mystery Spot, Santa Cruz, California
- San Luis Rey Mission: Skull and Crossbones of Zorro, Oceanside, California
- Shipwreck - Attraction Ruins, Eureka, California
- White Squirrels of the Pacific, Dana Point, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Wizard Of Oz Dorothy Grave, Bloomington, Illinois
- Time Portal Tromp L'oeil Murals, Brooksville, Florida
- Feature: Clinton Wedding House, Fayetteville, Arkansas
- TARDIS Little Free Library, Lisle, Illinois
- Historical Wax Museum of New Orleans, New Orleans, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips