La Jolla, California: Mount Soledad Cross43 feet tall, erected in 1954. The subject of church-state lawsuits for years, from those who don't believe that it's a public park war memorial as its defenders insist.
Mt. Soledad Park
- 7040 Soledad Park Rd, La Jolla, CA
- I-5 exits 23 or 23B. Drive west on Garnet/Balboa Ave., then quickly turn right onto Soledad Mountain Rd. Drive around three miles, then turn right onto La Jolla Scenic Drive. Then, when the road bends sharly left, continue straight into Mt. Soledad Park.
Visitor Tips and News About Mount Soledad Cross
The brick walls of the walkways and steps leading up to the monument are being covered with small granite plaques purchased by loved ones to honor and memorialize veterans. Very tasteful and meaningful.[upde, 02/15/2010]
Regardless of your politics or religiosity beliefs, Soledad Mountain provides the best view in San Diego County. Well worth the drive.[Evan Zucker, 01/20/2010]
The Mount Soledad Cross is 43 feet tall, erected in 1954. It's been the subject of church-state lawsuits for years, from those who don't accept that it's a public park war memorial as its defenders insist.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- La Jolla Gravity Hill, La Jolla, CA - 1 mi.
- House Teetering on Edge of Roof, San Diego, CA - 3 mi.
- Surfboard Museum in Taco Joint, San Diego, CA - 3 mi.
- Air and Space Museum: Nazi Flying Wing, Apollo 9 Capsule, San Diego, CA - 9 mi.