Newell, California: Japanese-American Internment Camp MonumentThis squat, dark stone pile supports an apologetic-angry-worded plaque that was erected in 1979. The ruins of the camp are still evident.
- Hwy 139, Newell, CA
- On the northeast side of Hwy 139, in the mostly-abandoned community of Newell. Roughly four miles north of the turnoff for Old Alturas Hwy, or 11 miles south of the intersection of State Line Rd/Hwy 161.
Visitor Tips and News About Japanese-American Internment Camp Monument
The Japanese-American Internment Camp Monument is right in the side of the road.[Robert Slayden, 03/28/2010]
Along Hwy 139, this apologetic-angry-worded historical plaque about the "concentration camp" was set into a roadside rock wall erected in 1979. The ruins of the camp are still evident.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Guard Tower From Japanese-American Internment Camp, Tulelake, CA - 7 mi.
- Lava Beds National Monument, Tulelake, CA - 10 mi.
- 2nd Tallest Flagpole In The U.S., Dorris, CA - 28 mi.
- In the region: Large Junk Art Sculptures, Cassel, CA - 66 mi.