Newell, California: Japanese-American Internment Camp Monument
This squat, dark stone pile supports an apologetic-angry-worded plaque that was erected in 1979. The ruins of the camp are still evident.
- Hwy 139, Newell, CA
- On the northeast side of Hwy 139, in the mostly-abandoned community of Newell. Roughly four miles north of the turnoff for Old Alturas Hwy, or 11 miles south of the intersection of State Line Rd/Hwy 161.
Japanese-American Internment Camp Monument
Visitor Tips and News About Japanese-American Internment Camp Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The Japanese-American Internment Camp Monument is right in the side of the road.
[Robert Slayden, 03/28/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Lava Beds National Monument, Tulelake, CA - 10 mi.
- 2nd Tallest Flagpole In The U.S., Dorris, CA - 28 mi.
- Favell Museum - Arrowheads, Miniature Arms, Klamath Falls, OR - 31 mi.
- In the region: Garik the Brave, 9/11 and Nam Rider, Adin, CA - 50 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
July 30, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Comic Rockstars Toilet Seat Museum, San Francisco, California
- Deer Park Winery And Car Museum, Escondido, California
- Mammoth Orange Stand, Chowchilla, California
- Mines Near Ghost Town, Yermo, California
- Rio Linda Cow, Rio Linda, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Backyard Golden Gate Bridge Replica, Mulvane, Kansas
- Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk, Riverside, Iowa
- Feature: Mardi Gras World, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Al's Oasis - Big Buffalo, Oacoma, South Dakota
- Giant Legos, Enfield, Connecticut
Latest Visitor Tips