Emmitsburg, Maryland: Big Jinxed 9/11 Statue Of Flag-Raising Firefighters
Giant Twin Towers firefighters raise an American flag in a 9/11 tribute. Ended up here after three cities rejected it as too big, or too impractical, or too much of a tourist attraction.
FEMA National Emergency Training Center
- 16871 S. Seton Ave., Emmitsburg, MD
- On the grounds of the FEMA National Emergency Training Center, which is on the east side of S. Seton Ave. midway between the town and US 15. At the entrance you'll be stopped by a guard, hand in your license, and be given ID tags, a parking pass, and directions to the memorial.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Emmitsburg, Maryland - Jinxed 9-11 Statue in Trouble Again
Jinxed 9-11 Statue:
In late 2007, sculptor Stan Watts finally erected his large statue of three 18-foot-tall firefighters raising a U.S. flag above the rubble of the World Trade Center -- literally, with real rubble from Ground Zero scattered at their feet.
[07/04/2009] Complete Story...
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 2, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Maryland Latest Tips and Stories
- Hobbit House, Bethesda, Maryland
- Mercury Cougar Statue, Temple Hills, Maryland
- Roland A. Remnant, Westminster, Maryland
- Monument to "The Pride of Sudlersville", Sudlersville, Maryland
- Ocean Gallery World Center, Ocean City, Maryland
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: World's Largest Collection of Autographed Baseballs, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Flea Market Mascot Big Cow, Savannah, Georgia
- Blue Angel Weather Vane, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Cathedral of Junk, Austin, Texas
- Old Hardhide - Town Gator in a Cage, Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips