Spirit Lake, Washington: Spirit Lake Volcano Destruction
The devastation of the 1980 explosive eruption is still visible near Mt. St. Helens.
- Spirit Lake Hwy, Spirit Lake, WA
- Spirit Lake Highway. Few miles hike down from Harmony stop to the lake. Map location is at end of highway.
- Seasonal access. (Call to verify)
Spirit Lake Volcano Destruction
Visitor Tips and News About Spirit Lake Volcano Destruction
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Spirit Lake, located near the Harmony stop on the road to Windy Ridge near Mount St Helen, is a strange and amazing place. If you have the time, and the energy, this is well worth the few miles hike down from Harmony stop to the lake itself. It was in the destruction zone of the eruption of the volcano in 1980 and the lake is full of thousands of trees that look like matchsticks. Truly amazing, I've never seen anything like it! The road is only open for a few months out of the year (July and August are your best bet).
[M Flagg, 07/21/2009]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 7, 2013
Washington Latest Tips and Stories
- Martha's Inn, George, Washington
- Metal Cows, Olympia, Washington
- Twin Peaks TV Waterfall, Snoqualmie, Washington
- Evil Lab from Short Circuit: Stand on Live Generator, North Bonneville, Washington
- Kountry Korner's Kreatures, Kingston, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- White Squirrels of the Pacific, Dana Point, California
- Grave of the Oldest Civil War Soldier, Chillicothe, Iowa
- Munch Box, Chatsworth, California
- Site of World's First Radio Telescope, Wheaton, Illinois
- Once-a-Year Monarch Butterfly Grove, Pismo Beach, California
Latest Visitor Tips