Spirit Lake, Washington: Spirit Lake Volcano DestructionThe devastation of the 1980 explosive eruption is still visible near Mt. St. Helens.
- Spirit Lake Hwy, Spirit Lake, WA
- Spirit Lake Highway. Few miles hike down from Harmony stop to the lake. Map location is at end of highway.
- Seasonal access. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Spirit Lake Volcano Destruction
Spirit Lake, located near the Harmony stop on the road to Windy Ridge near Mount St Helen, is a strange and amazing place. If you have the time, and the energy, this is well worth the few miles hike down from Harmony stop to the lake itself. It was in the destruction zone of the eruption of the volcano in 1980 and the lake is full of thousands of trees that look like matchsticks. Truly amazing, I've never seen anything like it! The road is only open for a few months out of the year (July and August are your best bet).[M Flagg, 07/21/2009]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Ape Cave Lava Tube, Cougar, WA - 12 mi.
- Bigfoot and the Buried A-Frame, Kid Valley, WA - 19 mi.
- Tiny Church, Elbe, WA - 34 mi.
- In the region: Wendy the Welder - Striding Cubist Lady Worker Statue, Vancouver, WA - 50 mi.