Columbia, South Carolina: State Capitol Bronze StarsThe South Carolina State House wears six big bronze stars on its west side to mark hits from Sherman's cannons. An inscription in one of the marble walls explains their significance.
South Carolina State House
- Assembly St., Columbia, SC
- South Carolina State House, on the Assembly St. side.
Visitor Tips and News About State Capitol Bronze Stars
The South Carolina State House is a copper-domed granite building that wears six bronze stars to mark hits from Sherman's cannons [during the War Between the States]. Yes, they are still there, after two major renovation projects. The first occurred 1959-1969, the second 1995-mid-1998.
Just in case you thought that Washington's Broken Cane was the only thing to remind South Carolinians about those, uh, can't say that, OK -- "evil" Yankees.[Roansal, 08/04/2009]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Washington Statue Left Damaged To Show Yankee Evil, Columbia, SC - < 1 mi.
- Strom Thurmond's Modified Monument, Columbia, SC - < 1 mi.
- Monument to the Father of Gynecology, Columbia, SC - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Big Peanut, Pelion, SC - 19 mi.