North Fork, California: Geographical Center of California
In 1996 a group of surveyors finally marked the Geographical Center of the state with a survey marker, a plaque and a pylon reading "CAL CENTER."
- Italian Bar Rd, North Fork, CA
- On Italian Bar Road, approximately 2.5 miles south of Road 225 in Madera County. The nearest town is North Fork. It's on the north side of the road, about 2/3rds of a mile northwest of a sharp switchback over the crest of the ridge towards Manzanita Lake.
Geographical Center of California
Visitor Tips and News About Geographical Center of California
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
There are a number of "centers" of California, but this is the only one verified by science. In 1996 a group of surveyors finally marked the Geographical Center of the state. The spot is commemorated with a survey marker, a plaque (dedicated two years later), and a pylon reading "CAL CENTER." This momentous location is on a narrow country road between North Fork and Lake Redinger, in a pretty piece of the Sierra Foothills.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
November 27, 2014
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Point Mugu Missile Park, Port Hueneme, California
- Beatles/Classic Rock Ice Cream Shoppe, Pacific Grove, California
- Bliss Dance, San Francisco, California
- Piano Staircase, Hollywood, California
- Bono's Giant Orange Stand, Fontana, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Housewife-Whacking Meteor Fell Here, Oak Grove, Alabama
- Feature: Alabama's Housewife-Whacking Meteorite, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Blue Whale, Catoosa, Oklahoma
- Biloxi Katrina Trees, Biloxi, Mississippi
- Grave of Sam Kinison, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Latest Visitor Tips