North Fork, California: Geographical Center of California
In 1996 a group of surveyors finally marked the Geographical Center of the state with a survey marker, a plaque and a pylon reading "CAL CENTER."
- Italian Bar Rd, North Fork, CA
- On Italian Bar Road, approximately 2.5 miles south of Road 225 in Madera County. The nearest town is North Fork. It's on the north side of the road, about 2/3rds of a mile northwest of a sharp switchback over the crest of the ridge towards Manzanita Lake.
Geographical Center of California
Visitor Tips and News About Geographical Center of California
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
There are a number of "centers" of California, but this is the only one verified by science. In 1996 a group of surveyors finally marked the Geographical Center of the state. The spot is commemorated with a survey marker, a plaque (dedicated two years later), and a pylon reading "CAL CENTER." This momentous location is on a narrow country road between North Fork and Lake Redinger, in a pretty piece of the Sierra Foothills.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
July 31, 2014
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Comic Rockstars Toilet Seat Museum, San Francisco, California
- Deer Park Winery And Car Museum, Escondido, California
- Mammoth Orange Stand, Chowchilla, California
- Mines Near Ghost Town, Yermo, California
- Rio Linda Cow, Rio Linda, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Backyard Golden Gate Bridge Replica, Mulvane, Kansas
- Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk, Riverside, Iowa
- Feature: Mardi Gras World, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Al's Oasis - Big Buffalo, Oacoma, South Dakota
- Giant Legos, Enfield, Connecticut
Latest Visitor Tips