Seattle, Washington: Spite House
Unusual house is a cautionary tale, where real estate and a nasty divorce collided.
- 2022 24th Ave. E., Seattle, WA
- I-5 exit 168 onto Hwy 520 east. Take the first exit onto Montlake Blvd. Drive south on Montlake, which turns into 24th Ave. About seven blocks south, on the southeast corner of 24th Ave. E. and E. Boston St.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Spite House
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The Spite House is still there, but a bit further south (up the hill) than I had remembered. The proper cross street is Newton, not Louisa. Secondly, the hedge around the south end has grown a LOT taller over the past decade. In fact you can no longer see the (very) narrow south end of the house from the street. When I took my photographs I had to back into the alley on the south side. A real shame. On the plus side, the building has been very well maintained, and looks like it will be standing for a good while longer yet.
[Mark Lockwood, 10/10/2000]
In the 1920s there was a *nasty divorce*. The judge awarded the husband the house and the wife the front yard. Perhaps he thought a sale would bring the two back together? Alas, twas not to be. The wife took her property and built a house on it.
From the front the Spite House looks perfectly ordinary, if a little old- fashioned (pink stucco, spanish-tiled roof). It's the side dimensions that make it unique. The north end is only ten feet wide, the south, only five.
[Mark Lockwood, 09/07/2000]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 30, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Washington Latest Tips and Stories
- Muffler Man - Stevedore Man, Everett, Washington
- World's Largest Egg, Winlock, Washington
- Flying Saucer with Transporter Beam, Everett, Washington
- World's Second Service Station Site, Seattle, Washington
- Dick and Jane's Spot, Ellensburg, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips