Menlo Park, California - White Cement Artichokes
Visitor Tips and News About White Cement Artichokes
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
"Cement Artichoke Capital of the Peninsula" is how the daughter of Martin Dioli and Italian immigrant and creator of Menlo Parks Cement artichokes, describes her hometown.
The World's Largest Artichoke may be in Castroville, but Menlo Park has 8 cement artichokes that have graced its neighborhoods since the 1930s. The largest concentration of the ghost white thistles are along the 1000 block of Santa Cruz Avenue (total of 6) and the creators original two artichokes framing the family home gateposts on University Avenue. Dioli's work can even be seen in the coastal town of Davenport, CA where there are 2 more of them.
[Phil Pasquini, 09/08/2009]
White Cement Artichokes:
Address: 875 University Ave, Menlo Park, CA
Directions: 875 University Ave, 1060 and 1064 Santa Cruz Ave.
Hours: Visible from street.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 24, 2013
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Urge - Robot Mimics You, San Francisco, California
- Speaking in Tongues Began Here, Los Angeles, California
- Smitten Ice Cream, San Francisco, California
- Ice Cream Parlor Bison Statue, Avalon, California
- Statue of Old Ben, Hungry Sea Lion, Avalon, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Rabbit Hash General Store, Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
- Mountain Meadows Massacre Mass Grave, Central, Utah
- Replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, Monticello, Indiana
- The Miner's Circle - Mine Explosion Graves, Lake City, Tennessee
- Buffalo Trails Museum, Epping, North Dakota
Latest Visitor Tips