Rochester, New York: Monument to the Founders of Spiritualism
Two sisters claimed to communicate with dead people through knocks and raps heard through the walls of their home. A towering obelisk honors their achievements.
- Troup St., Rochester, NY
- Obelisk is on Troup Street, east of Plymouth intersection, south of I-490.
Crazy Sisters - Spiritualist Movement Founders
Visitor Tips and News About Monument to the Founders of Spiritualism
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The birth of American Spiritualism is forever linked to Rochester, when sisters Margaret and Catherine Fox claimed the ability to communicate with departed spirits through a code of knocks and raps heard through the walls of their home.
While living on Troup Street in our city in 1849, they performed a public hearing at the Corinthian Hall, where several area men were unable to detect the means of their trickery, which in turn led to word of their abilities spreading throughout the world.
The sisters are commemorated by an obelisk that stands on Troup Street, near the point where Plymouth Avenue crosses Highway 490. [Wes, 09/28/2009]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 29, 2015
New York Latest Tips and Stories
- The Bridge from It's A Wonderful Life, Seneca Falls, New York
- World's Smallest Railroad Diner, Trumansburg, New York
- Big Metal Dragon, East Bethany, New York
- Storytown - Vague Recollections, Lake George, New York
- Roebling Bridge, Minisink Ford, New York
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Big Chicken Statue, Byron Center, Michigan
- Historic Oakville Jail and Guesthouse, Oakville, Texas
- Dancing Blues Brothers, Joliet, Illinois
- Tom's Cypress, Waldo, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips