Buxton, North Carolina: America's Tallest Lighthouse - Climb It
268 steps ascend to the top of a 208-foot-tall barber pole lighthouse, America's loftiest.
- 46379 Old Lighthouse Rd, Buxton, NC
- US 64 east to the ocean at Nags Head, then 48 miles south on Hwy 12. Signs from both directions on Highway 12.
- Daily 9-5, April - mid-Oct. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Tallest Lighthouse in the US
Visitor Tips and News About America's Tallest Lighthouse - Climb It
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Standing 193 feet (above ground), the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in Buxton, NC is the tallest lighthouse in the United States. The current lighthouse, completed in 1871, replaced an earlier lighthouse. Both were designed to warn sailors of the dangerous Diamond Shoals off the NC coast.
The distinctive "barber pole" paint scheme is consistent with other black-and-white lighthouses of North Carolina, each with their own pattern to help sailors identify lighthouses during daylight hours.
The National Park Service allows visitors to climb the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse from the third Friday in April to Columbus Day. Keep in mind the climb is strenuous, equivalent to walking the stairs of a twelve-story building, only on a narrow, two-way staircase. The interior of the lighthouse is not climate-controlled therefore on very hot days the NPS may close access to the interior of the lighthouse with little warning.
[Greg Brown, 02/13/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 21, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
North Carolina Latest Tips and Stories
- Rocky the Giant Rockfish, Weldon, North Carolina
- Clyde Jones' Critter Crossing, Bynum, North Carolina
- Metalmorphosis - Giant Head, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Ferris Wheel of Steel Fabrication, Hendersonville, North Carolina
- Two-Headed Car, Raleigh, North Carolina
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- La Salette Shrine, Enfiel, New Hampshire
- Ferocious Fish Sculpture, Tampa, Florida
- Lambert's, Home of Throwed Rolls, Ozark, Missouri
- Happy Rock, Gladstone, Manitoba
- Feature: Bailey Art Museum - Robots of Clayton Bailey, Crockett, California
Latest Visitor Tips