Buxton, North Carolina: America's Tallest Lighthouse - Climb It
268 steps ascend to the top of a 208-foot-tall barber pole lighthouse, America's loftiest.
- 46379 Old Lighthouse Rd, Buxton, NC
- US 64 east to the ocean at Nags Head, then 48 miles south on Hwy 12. Signs from both directions on Highway 12.
- Daily 9-5, April - mid-Oct. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Tallest Lighthouse in the US
Visitor Tips and News About America's Tallest Lighthouse - Climb It
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Standing 193 feet (above ground), the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in Buxton, NC is the tallest lighthouse in the United States. The current lighthouse, completed in 1871, replaced an earlier lighthouse. Both were designed to warn sailors of the dangerous Diamond Shoals off the NC coast.
The distinctive "barber pole" paint scheme is consistent with other black-and-white lighthouses of North Carolina, each with their own pattern to help sailors identify lighthouses during daylight hours.
The National Park Service allows visitors to climb the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse from the third Friday in April to Columbus Day. Keep in mind the climb is strenuous, equivalent to walking the stairs of a twelve-story building, only on a narrow, two-way staircase. The interior of the lighthouse is not climate-controlled therefore on very hot days the NPS may close access to the interior of the lighthouse with little warning.
[Greg Brown, 02/13/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
June 19, 2013
North Carolina Latest Tips and Stories
- Sleep in Andy Griffith's Boyhood Home, Mount Airy, North Carolina
- Digger's Dungeon - Home of Grave Digger, Poplar Branch, North Carolina
- Shell Gas Station, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- Birthplace of Pepsi, New Bern, North Carolina
- Steel Tree, Mistaken for Dead Tree, Hendersonville, North Carolina
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- House of Balls, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Obsolete Toll Booths On Display, Stratford, Connecticut
- Tom Thumb, P. T. Barnum Graves, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Lorraine Motel, Memphis, Tennessee
- Pirate Ship, Scranton, Pennsylvania
Latest Visitor Tips