Platteville, Wisconsin: World's Largest MIf you've ever wanted to stand next to a colossal "M," the place to do it is on a hillside outside of Platteville.
- W. Mound Rd, Platteville, WI
- Northeast of town. US Hwy 151 exit 19. Drive east one mile on County Rd Xx. Turn left (north) onto W. Mound Rd. Drive two miles to the M, on the right.
Visitor Tips and News About World's Largest M
Random road trip came across this giant "M" in the side of a hill in Platteville. The picture is not very good -- taking pictures while moving doesn't always work too well.[Ashley Craig, 09/30/2012]
Next time pull off for this one. Unlike most other giant letters carved into hillsides -- and there are others -- the Platte Mound M is right next to a side road that allows easy parking, and has a stairway up the hillside so you can really eyeball the letter.
The world's largest M was created by engineering students in 1936 who attended the University Of Wisconsin-Platteville. It was a mining school at the time. There are over 200 steps to reach the top, where a look-out telescope is located to see Platteville and surrounding areas. There are various trails and rocks to climb. The best time to go there is during the sunset, because it faces west.[Naomi, 06/10/2010]
Originally built in 1937, the world's largest man-made "M" can be seen for miles around southwestern Wisconsin, and even as far away as Illinois and Iowa (which are both about 20 miles west).
Made of stones whitewashed every year by students at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, the Big M is truly an amazing sight to drivers along U. S. Highway 151. It is over 200 feet wide and almost 250 feet tall. Unbelievably, there are smaller man-made "M"s in at least two locations -- Monona, Wisconsin and Golden, Colorado.
Twice a year, in the spring for the annual "M-Ball", and in the fall for Homecoming, the "M" is set afire and the blazing 13th letter can be seen as far away as Dubuque, Iowa. Actually, the whitewashed "M" itself is not lit. Smudge-pots are placed around the "M" and those are lit from a torch carried four miles by a runner from the University. No, the "M" doesn't stand for Platteville. It is actually a symbol of the old School of Mines.[Callen Harty, 09/23/2000]