Austin, Texas: Giant Olmec Head Replica
"El Rey," replica of a giant stone-carved head of a leader from an early central American civilization.
Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies
- Red River St., Austin, TX
- Entrance to Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies, Richardson Hall, Red River St. and Clyde Littlefield Dr.
Giant Olmec Head Replica
Visitor Tips and News About Giant Olmec Head Replica
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Behold "El Rey," as they call the replica of a giant stone-carved Olmec head added to the campus at the University of Texas in 2008. There are 14 of these 6-ton Olmec heads given as gifts by Mexico and placed around the world, to remind all of the Olmec society that flourished for a while in ancient central America.
[Matt Kirby, 12/07/2009]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- LBJ Museum, With Robot, Austin, TX - < 1 mi.
- 1943 Anchor, School Spirit Artillery Gun, Austin, TX - < 1 mi.
- World's Largest Longhorn, Austin, TX - < 1 mi.
- Giant Fork with Attachments, Austin, TX - 1 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 30, 2014
Texas Latest Tips and Stories
- Branch Davidian Site, Waco, Texas
- Last Picture Show Theater - The Royal Theatre, Archer City, Texas
- Giant Sofa with Couch Potatoes, Austin, Texas
- Town Named Cut And Shoot, Cut And Shoot, Texas
- Stonehenge II, Ingram, Texas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Wolf's Museum of Mystery, St. Augustine, Florida
- Yellow Submarine, Hobart, Washington
- Dinosaur Ridge, Morrison, Colorado
- Detroit Chimera Graffiti Mural, Detroit, Michigan
- Lizard Butte, Marsing, Idaho
Latest Visitor Tips