Holcomb, Kansas: House of the "In Cold Blood" MurdersThe home where Richard Hickock and Perry Edward Smith impulsively shotgunned the Clutter family in 1959, eventually launching the celebrity career of Truman Capote.
- Oak Ave., Holcomb, KS
- On the southwest edge of town. Take US 400/50 to just north of Holcomb, and then turn south onto Old US 50. Drive a mile south to town, then turn right onto Main St. Drive through town and take the last right, onto Oak Ave. Drive until the road veers sharply right. Straight ahead is the long, tree-lined driveway that leads to the former Clutter family house, but it's private property. If you make the turn to the right, you can see the house from the road, across the fields, to the left.
- Private property - visible across field.
Visitor Tips and News About House of the "In Cold Blood" Murders
Construction everywhere, but if you have a gps you'll find it![Mark Tomich, 02/28/2011]
This is the farmhouse made famous in Truman Capote's book "In Cold Blood," where, in 1959, two guys killed the resident family just because they could.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- World's Largest Hairball, Garden City, KS - 7 mi.
- World's Largest Outdoor Municipal Concrete Swimming Pool, Garden City, KS - 7 mi.
- Cement Teepee, Satanta, KS - 38 mi.
- In the region: Library Shaped Like an Open Book, Liberal, KS - 65 mi.