Dodge City, Kansas: Time Zone Sundials
Two sundials set for different historic time zones at the Santa Fe railroad station, end of the platform.
- E. Wyatt Earp Blvd, Dodge City, KS
- Downtown, at the east end of the Santa Fe Depot platform, on the south side of E. Wyatt Earp Blvd between Central Ave. and Ave. B.
Time Zone Sundials
Visitor Tips and News About Time Zone Sundials
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Toward the east end of the platform at the Santa Fe railroad station in Dodge City are two large (at least six feet in diameter) sundials. One is set to show the time in the Central Time Zone and the other is set to show the time in the Mountain Time Zone. The original time zone line, as set by the railroads in 1883, ran between them.
Amtrak still stops at the station twice each day. Ironically the train bound for Chicago arrives about 12:15 a.m. while the train going to Los Angeles is scheduled to arrive shortly before 6:00 a.m. Seldom do Amtrak passengers see the sundials "at work."
[Ralph Decker, 03/20/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
July 28, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- Backyard Golden Gate Bridge Replica, Mulvane, Kansas
- Dinosaur Not So National Park, Erie, Kansas
- Cement Teepee, Satanta, Kansas
- Skin of Leo, MGM Lion, McPherson, Kansas
- Happy Chef - Chimney Sweep, McPherson, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Comic Rockstars Toilet Seat Museum, San Francisco, California
- Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk, Riverside, Iowa
- Feature: Mardi Gras World, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Al's Oasis - Big Buffalo, Oacoma, South Dakota
- Giant Legos, Enfield, Connecticut
Latest Visitor Tips