Dodge City, Kansas: Time Zone SundialsTwo sundials set for different historic time zones at the Santa Fe railroad station, end of the platform.
- E. Wyatt Earp Blvd, Dodge City, KS
- Downtown, at the east end of the Santa Fe Depot platform, on the south side of E. Wyatt Earp Blvd between Central Ave. and Ave. B.
Visitor Tips and News About Time Zone Sundials
Toward the east end of the platform at the Santa Fe railroad station in Dodge City are two large (at least six feet in diameter) sundials. One is set to show the time in the Central Time Zone and the other is set to show the time in the Mountain Time Zone. The original time zone line, as set by the railroads in 1883, ran between them.
Amtrak still stops at the station twice each day. Ironically the train bound for Chicago arrives about 12:15 a.m. while the train going to Los Angeles is scheduled to arrive shortly before 6:00 a.m. Seldom do Amtrak passengers see the sundials "at work."[Ralph Decker, 03/20/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Gunfighters Wax Museum, Dodge City, KS - < 1 mi.
- Kansas Teachers' Hall of Fame, Dodge City, KS - < 1 mi.
- M.T. Liggett's Political Sculptures, Mullinville, KS - 31 mi.
- In the region: World's Largest Outdoor Municipal Concrete Swimming Pool, Garden City, KS - 49 mi.