Dodge City, Kansas: Time Zone Sundials
Two sundials set for different historic time zones at the Santa Fe railroad station, end of the platform.
- E. Wyatt Earp Blvd, Dodge City, KS
- Downtown, at the east end of the Santa Fe Depot platform, on the south side of E. Wyatt Earp Blvd between Central Ave. and Ave. B.
Time Zone Sundials
Visitor Tips and News About Time Zone Sundials
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Toward the east end of the platform at the Santa Fe railroad station in Dodge City are two large (at least six feet in diameter) sundials. One is set to show the time in the Central Time Zone and the other is set to show the time in the Mountain Time Zone. The original time zone line, as set by the railroads in 1883, ran between them.
Amtrak still stops at the station twice each day. Ironically the train bound for Chicago arrives about 12:15 a.m. while the train going to Los Angeles is scheduled to arrive shortly before 6:00 a.m. Seldom do Amtrak passengers see the sundials "at work."
[Ralph Decker, 03/20/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 26, 2015
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- Leo the Lion Rug, McPherson, Kansas
- Birthplace of Home On The Range, Athol, Kansas
- Giant Dragon and Other Farm Equipment Creatures, Lincoln, Kansas
- Suitcase Tombstone of a Traveling Salesman, Lincoln, Kansas
- Giant Steam Shovel, Crawford County Historical Museum, Pittsburg, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Big Chicken Statue, Byron Center, Michigan
- Historic Oakville Jail and Guesthouse, Oakville, Texas
- Dancing Blues Brothers, Joliet, Illinois
- Tom's Cypress, Waldo, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips