Alameda, California: The Spite House
Possibly the narrowest freestanding structure among all of the "spite houses" in the country -- this one said to be built by a vengeful carpenter.
- Crist St., Alameda, CA
- South of Central Ave., southwest corner of Broadway and Crist St. House is difficult to see from Broadway, and is best viewed facing east on Crist St.
- Private property, visible from street.
The Spite House
Visitor Tips and News About The Spite House
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
This Spite House is possibly the narrowest freestanding structure among all of the "spite houses" in the country. It stands 20 feet (6.1 m) high, 10 feet (3.0 m) wide, and 54 feet (16 m) long.
The current owners of the Spite House believe that the original owner of the house next door sold that small parcel of land, thinking that it would be useless. Turns out that the buyer was a carpenter. Needless to say, disputes arose and the carpenter built a house with a solid wall facing the neighbors. The carpenter had the word "spite" inlaid on the front stoop during construction.
[Cari Lee Donovan, 04/09/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
September 21, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Nitt Witt Ridge, Cambria, California
- Giant Aluminum Can Man, East Los Angeles, California
- LA County Coroner's Gift Shop, Los Angeles, California
- Mud Pots, Niland, California
- Wyatt Earp and Levi Strauss Tombs, Colma, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- White Cliffs of Conoy, Bainbridge, Pennsylvania
- Calgary Tower: Glass Floor, Calgary, Alberta
- Shrine Of Our Lady Of Good Help, New Franken, Wisconsin
- Two-headed Calf, Boise, Idaho
- Hitler's Tea Service and Spy Weapons, Anniston, Alabama
Latest Visitor Tips