Alameda, California: The Spite House
Possibly the narrowest freestanding structure among all of the "spite houses" in the country -- this one said to be built by a vengeful carpenter.
- Crist St., Alameda, CA
- South of Central Ave., southwest corner of Broadway and Crist St. House is difficult to see from Broadway, and is best viewed facing east on Crist St.
- Private property, visible from street.
The Spite House
Visitor Tips and News About The Spite House
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
This Spite House is possibly the narrowest freestanding structure among all of the "spite houses" in the country. It stands 20 feet (6.1 m) high, 10 feet (3.0 m) wide, and 54 feet (16 m) long.
The current owners of the Spite House believe that the original owner of the house next door sold that small parcel of land, thinking that it would be useless. Turns out that the buyer was a carpenter. Needless to say, disputes arose and the carpenter built a house with a solid wall facing the neighbors. The carpenter had the word "spite" inlaid on the front stoop during construction.
[Cari Lee Donovan, 04/09/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 7, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Mr. Little, Santa Ana, California
- Feature: Nude Dude - Naked Surfer Statue, Huntington Beach, California
- Mendenhall's Museum of Gas Pumps and Petroliana, Buellton, California
- Shoe Tree, Amboy, California
- Siamese Twin Bronze Giants, Tracy, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Menagerie of Sculptures, New Gretna, New Jersey
- Sci-Fi Donut Store, Bellingham, Washington
- Tardis in South Carolina, York, South Carolina
- Huge Paper Airplane, Mukilteo, Washington
- Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute, Ellensburg, Washington
Latest Visitor Tips