Murphys, California: World's Largest Gold Nugget
So claimed, a whopping 44-lbs., on display in the Jewelry Shop/Heritage Museum at IronStone Vineyards.
IronStone Vineyards Heritage Museum
- 1894 Six Mile Road, Murphys, CA
- IronStone Vineyards Heritage Museum. East on Hwy 4 to Murphys. Just past the Chevron at light turn left on Big Trees Road. Continue across Main St., then across Jones St., road becomes Six Mile Rd. Ironstone Vineyards is 1 mile on right.
World's Largest Gold Nugget
Visitor Tips and News About World's Largest Gold Nugget
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The gold specimen is the largest single piece of gold mined in North America since the 1880s. Between 1849 and 1880, several large masses were found, none of which exist today.
This specimen is unique in that it is not only the largest mass of gold specimen found in CA since that time, but it is also the largest specimen of crystallized gold in existence today. Crystallized gold is the most rare form of gold.
[Sharean Oxley, 12/08/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 30, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Building Shaped Like a Camera, Westminster, California
- Teddy Bear Made of Boulders, La Jolla, California
- Dr. Seuss and Cat in the Hat, La Jolla, California
- World's Largest Jack O' Lantern, Wilmington, California
- Feature: Junk Sculpture of Star Wars C3PO, Emeryville, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Wolf's Museum of Mystery, St. Augustine, Florida
- Yellow Submarine, Hobart, Washington
- Dinosaur Ridge, Morrison, Colorado
- Detroit Chimera Graffiti Mural, Detroit, Michigan
- Lizard Butte, Marsing, Idaho
Latest Visitor Tips