Springfield, Missouri: USS Lapon - Sub Surfacing out of GrassThe "sail" -- the tower section on top of a sub -- appears as if it's just surfacing from an expanse of lawn at the American Legion hall.
American Legion Post 639
- 2660 S. Scenic Ave., Springfield, MO
- On the east side of S. Scenic Ave./S. FR 137, about 1.5 miles north of US Hwy 60/160. Look for the American Legion Post 639 sign, drive up the driveway, the sub will be on the right.
Visitor Tips and News About USS Lapon - Sub Surfacing out of Grass
Along with the submarine, there are helicopters on the site.[Rhonda Agnew, 10/26/2013]
The display of military hardware at American Legion Post 639 includes a couple of Vietnam-era choppers and the conning tower of the U.S.S. Lapon, a Cold War sub that seems to be surfacing out of the lawn.
Featured in the N.Y. Times Bestselling book "Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story Of Submarine Espionage" by Sherry Sontag and the subject of a television documentary, the U.S.S. Lapon was a proud cold war warrior that stood guard to protect our country and now has a good home here in the heart of America, Springfield, MO![Chuck Shepherd, 05/10/2010]
March 2011 - photo added. The "sail" -- the tower section on top of a sub -- appears as if it's just surfacing from an expanse of lawn at the American Legion hall.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- World's Largest Fork, Springfield, MO - 2 mi.
- Muffler Car, Springfield, MO - 2 mi.
- Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World Fish and Wildlife Museum, Springfield, MO - 2 mi.
- In the region: Home of the White Squirrels, Marionville, MO - 20 mi.