Cryptic carvings and symbols on a soapstone boulder in a private residence's field. North Carolina's famous petroglyph was a popular postcard image.
- Judaculla Rd, Cullowhee, NC
- From US 74, take Exit 85 to Business Route 23 through Sylva. Stay on 23 1.3 miles to NC 107, then turn left onto 107. Drive 8 miles south on 107 and take a left onto Caney Fork Road, County Road 1737. Go 2.5 miles then turn left onto a gravel road and drive 0.45 mile. Look for rock and viewing platform on the right, parking is on the left.
- Sunrise to dusk.
Judaculla Rock - Mysterious Petroglyphs
Visitor Tips and News About Judaculla Rock
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Petroglyphs on a rock in a private residence's field. Very unusual. Obviously old! Beautiful drive to get there!
Judaculla Rock, a large soapstone boulder, is covered in carved circles, lines, cupules, crosses, anthropomorphs, and other shapes. Long grooved lines, referred to as rills or "power lines," interconnect the symbols.
There are no restrooms, water fountains, or other such amenities. You'll only find the rock and a wooden viewing platform.
[lee shealy, 07/14/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 22, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
North Carolina Latest Tips and Stories
- The Witches' Keyhole, Lenoir, North Carolina
- Pose with the Original Carolina Hillbilly, Edneyville, North Carolina
- Harry's Grill and Piggy's Ice, Hendersonville, North Carolina
- Historic Anti-Racist Lunch Counter, Greensboro, North Carolina
- Pirate of Otway, Otway, North Carolina
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Wizard of Oz Garden, Mapleton, Illinois
- Image of Jesus Christ on a Tree, Rochester, New York
- Carson Mansion - Quintessential Haunted House, Eureka, California
- Chrome Longhorn Sculpture, Johnson City, Texas
- President Clinton, Train Engineer, Hope, Arkansas
Latest Visitor Tips