Coffeyville, Kansas: The Dead ZoneSigns and bleached animal skulls on poles and buildings protest a 2007 oil spill/flash flood that ruined many local homes.
- E. 11th St., Coffeyville, KS
- Northwest corner of E. 11th St./US Hwy 169 and Davis St.
- Private property. Obey posted notices.
Visitor Tips and News About The Dead Zone
All the houses in the Dead Zone area are gone.[Josh Marick, 03/25/2013]
But the Dead Zone protest display remains! The sign reads: "Coffeyville resources contaminated our homes and land and then cheated us."
The signs and bleached animal skulls on poles and buildings appear to be a protest of the oil spill in 2007. Workers failed to close an oil overflow valve when preparing for a flash flood, and created a disaster costing many residents their homes. While the oil refinery bought the properties polluted by the spill, many residents still feel they got a raw deal.
Although there are many no trespassing signs on the property I think that's meant for entering the building or fenced off area, nobody said anything as I explored around the outside of the place.[Mr. Crispy, 07/19/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Dalton Defenders Museum, Coffeyville, KS - < 1 mi.
- Dalton Death Alley, Coffeyville, KS - < 1 mi.
- Monkey Island, Home of America's First Space Monkey, Independence, KS - 15 mi.
- Tom Mix Museum - Suitcase of Death, Dewey, OK - 25 mi.