Brooklyn, New York: Coney Island - Sideshows by the Seashore
- 1208 Surf Ave., Brooklyn, NY
- By car: Belt Parkway to Coney Island Exit 6. Turn right on Cropsey Avenue. Go 2 blocks. By subway: Take the D, Q, N or F subway line to the last stop (Stillwell Avenue). Exit the station and cross Surf Avenue to the Nathan’s side. Go left and walk one block to the corner of 12th Street.
- Sideshow Mar-Sep, Sa-Su afternoons. Daily summer. Museum summer Th-Su, other wkn (Call to verify)
- Sideshow: $7.50 Adults, $5.00 Kids. Museum: 99 cents. Other event prices vary.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Historical playland of the world, with some revitalized cheese and midway romance. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [09/02/2010]
Visitor Tips and News About Coney Island - Sideshows by the Seashore
The House of Freaks at New York City's fabled Coney Island is worth a look. Upstairs there's a museum, and downstairs a humble blackbox theatre which features, among other things, one of PT Barnum's three `mermaids' -- manufactured fish/monkey hybrids used in his circus show. Also try to meet Insectavora, the heavily tattooed and pierced contortionist.[Thom Woodley, 09/29/2002]
At the freak show in Coney Island they purport to have the feejee mermaid (on loan from the PT Barnum museum).[Jaosn Diaz, 10/14/2000]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Topsy the Elephant, Brooklyn, NY - < 1 mi.
- A&W Root Beer Statues, Brooklyn, NY - < 1 mi.
- Pocket Change Plaque of Mid-Air Collision Survivor, Brooklyn, NY - 6 mi.
- Carpet-Clutching Muffler Man, Jersey City, NJ - 12 mi.