Islamorada, Florida: Not Hemingway's BoatIt sure looks like a boat that belonged to the author of "The Old Man And The Sea," and that's just the way its exhibitors want it.
- 81576 Overseas Hwy., Islamorada, FL
- South of the giant lobster. Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, Overseas Hwy.
Visitor Tips and News About Not Hemingway's Boat
Look for a beautified metal two story former boat warehouse on the west side of Rt. 1 in Key Largo. It's now a high priced retail sporting goods store, along with a restaurant and bar. The interior of the place is dominated by a large gloriously restored wooden fishing boat reeking of Hemingway ambience. The deck has Hemingway's sitting place where he landed "the big ones". An old manual typewriter down below shows where Hemingway sat while he wrote.
Except it's not Hemingway's boat. The fine print says that, as best they can figure it out, it sort of looks like Hemingway's boat and may have been built in the same town and around the time his boat was built.
While you're inside, go to the southeast corner of the ground floor of the building and enjoy the large salt water aquarium.[K. Ward, 10/14/2000]
Dec. 2004 - Tracy corrects that "Not Hemingway's Boat" is Not in Key Largo. It's in Islamorada.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Wrong Way Hurricane Monument, Islamorada, FL - < 1 mi.
- Motel Shark Catch, Islamorada, FL - 2 mi.
- Shark in Scuba Gear, Islamorada, FL - 2 mi.
- In the region: Southernmost Purple Martin House In The Continental USA, Florida City, FL - 38 mi.