Bete Gris, Michigan: Singing Sands Beach
A mile-long beach of mysterious "singing sand" on the chilly shore of Lake Superior.
- Bete Gris Rd, Bete Gris, MI
- On the shore of Lake Superior. US Hwy 41 north to the town of Delaware, then turn right onto Lac La Belle Rd. When you reach the Lake, turn left onto Bete Gris Rd and follow the signs to Lake Superior and the beach.
Singing Sands of Bete Gris
Visitor Tips and News About Singing Sands Beach
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
This mile long sand beach on the south side of the Keweenaw Penninsula up in the UP of Michigan holds a magical property in that when you place the palm of your hand on the surface of the sand and rotate it the sand resonates with a wonderful sound like the ancient indian maiden that sings out to her betrothed across the Lake Gitche Gummie. The sand will sing "in situ" but will be silent after being taken from the beach. No other beach in the area sings while the sand may appear the same. Bete Gris means Grey Beast and is misspelled, as in French it is correctly spelled "Bete Grise"
[Oznott Wasnott, 10/14/2000]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 23, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Michigan Latest Tips and Stories
- Paul Bunyan's Cook Camp, Newberry, Michigan
- The Hand, Norton Shores, Michigan
- Nee-Gaw-Nee-Gaw-Bow - Toth Indian, Wakefield, Michigan
- Skellville: Skeleton Scenes, Benton Harbor, Michigan
- Home of the Lunkquarium, Edwardsburg, Michigan
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Image of Jesus Christ on a Tree, Rochester, New York
- Carson Mansion - Quintessential Haunted House, Eureka, California
- Chrome Longhorn Sculpture, Johnson City, Texas
- President Clinton, Train Engineer, Hope, Arkansas
- Duck Dynasty Headquarters, Monroe, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips