Sago, West Virginia: Sago Mine Disaster Monument
2006 explosion in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. Memorial remembers the 12 victims.
- Sago Rd, Sago, WV
- South of Buckhannon, intersection of Sago Road/ Co Rt 30/7 and Gould Sago Rd. - Tallmansville Road. At the end of the Baptist Church parking lot.
Sago Mine Disaster Monument
Visitor Tips and News About Sago Mine Disaster Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
An explosion on January 2, 2006 in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. One miner survived. The monument, which features the shape of a miner's helmet in granite, names all the victims.
There's another memorial about the disaster in Philippi, WV.
[Michael Patrick Kenefick, 07/28/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
April 19, 2014
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- International Water Tasting Competition, Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
- Harpers Ferry Haunted Cottage and Museum of the Supernatural, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
- Bicentennial Radio Telescope, Green Bank, West Virginia
- Chunk of Collapsed Radio Telescope, Green Bank, West Virginia
- Feature: Marx Toy Museum, Moundsville, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips