Sago, West Virginia: Sago Mine Disaster Monument
2006 explosion in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. Memorial remembers the 12 victims.
- Sago Rd, Sago, WV
- South of Buckhannon, intersection of Sago Road/ Co Rt 30/7 and Gould Sago Rd. - Tallmansville Road. At the end of the Baptist Church parking lot.
Visitor Tips and News About Sago Mine Disaster Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Sago Mine Disaster Monument
An explosion on January 2, 2006 in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. One miner survived. The monument, which features the shape of a miner's helmet in granite, names all the victims.
There's another memorial about the disaster in Philippi, WV.
[Michael Patrick Kenefick, 07/28/2010]
July 7, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Circus and Carnival Mini-Museum, Moundsville, West Virginia
- Marx Toy Museum, Moundsville, West Virginia
- World's Largest Teapot, Chester, West Virginia
- Pope John Paul II Outside a Restaurant, Wheeling, West Virginia
- Tiny Church, Elkins, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Hollow Earth Monument, Hamilton, Ohio
- Missile Park, Altus, Oklahoma
- Stone Face Rock with Nonoffensive Name, Pennington Gap, Virginia
- Big Indian: Chief Touch the Clouds, Edmond, Oklahoma
- Hubcap Pyramid, Mays Landing, New Jersey