Sago, West Virginia: Sago Mine Disaster Monument
2006 explosion in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. Memorial remembers the 12 victims.
- Sago Rd, Sago, WV
- South of Buckhannon, intersection of Sago Road/ Co Rt 30/7 and Gould Sago Rd. - Tallmansville Road. At the end of the Baptist Church parking lot.
Visitor Tips and News About Sago Mine Disaster Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Sago Mine Disaster Monument
An explosion on January 2, 2006 in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. One miner survived. The monument, which features the shape of a miner's helmet in granite, names all the victims.
There's another memorial about the disaster in Philippi, WV.
[Michael Patrick Kenefick, 07/28/2010]
December 5, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Pink And Green Giraffe, Huntington, West Virginia
- West Virginia State Penitentiary Tour, Moundsville, West Virginia
- Archive of the Afterlife, Moundsville, West Virginia
- Grave Creek Mound, Moundsville, West Virginia
- Don Knotts Star and Statue, Morgantown, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Samurai Sword of Pilot Who Bombed Oregon, Brookings, Oregon
- Hole N' The Rock And The Stuffed Donkey, Moab, Utah
- Goblin Valley - Galaxy Quest Planet And Fun Photo Op, Green River, Utah
- Kelly's Muffler Car, Paradise, California
- Giraffe Bursts Through Roof, Aurora, Illinois