Sago, West Virginia: Sago Mine Disaster Monument2006 explosion in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. Memorial remembers the 12 victims.
- Sago Rd, Sago, WV
- South of Buckhannon, intersection of Sago Road/ Co Rt 30/7 and Gould Sago Rd. - Tallmansville Road. At the end of the Baptist Church parking lot.
Visitor Tips and News About Sago Mine Disaster Monument
An explosion on January 2, 2006 in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. One miner survived. The monument, which features the shape of a miner's helmet in granite, names all the victims.
There's another memorial about the disaster in Philippi, WV.[Michael Patrick Kenefick, 07/28/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Tiny Church, Buckhannon, WV - 2 mi.
- Swiss-themed Village, Helvetia, WV - 14 mi.
- Mountaineer Military Museum, Weston, WV - 15 mi.
- Museum of American Glass in West Virginia and National Marble Museum, Weston, WV - 15 mi.