Sago, West Virginia: Sago Mine Disaster Monument
2006 explosion in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. Memorial remembers the 12 victims.
- Sago Rd, Sago, WV
- South of Buckhannon, intersection of Sago Road/ Co Rt 30/7 and Gould Sago Rd. - Tallmansville Road. At the end of the Baptist Church parking lot.
Visitor Tips and News About Sago Mine Disaster Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Sago Mine Disaster Monument
An explosion on January 2, 2006 in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. One miner survived. The monument, which features the shape of a miner's helmet in granite, names all the victims.
There's another memorial about the disaster in Philippi, WV.
[Michael Patrick Kenefick, 07/28/2010]
May 30, 2016
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Bridge Walk: 88 Stories High, Fayetteville, West Virginia
- Grave of Stonewall Jackson's Mom, Ansted, West Virginia
- World's Longest Single Arch Steel Span Bridge, Fayetteville, West Virginia
- Rotating Root Beer Mug, Huntington, West Virginia
- First Summer Presidential White House, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Sacrifice Rock, Plymouth, Massachusetts
- Official Back Porch Ronald Reagan, Annapolis, Maryland
- Ghost Town Beehive Kilns: Frisco, Beaver County, Utah
- Two-Story Outhouse Possibly Used by Lincoln, Janesville, Wisconsin
- One Man, Two Headstones, Samaria, Idaho