Sago, West Virginia: Sago Mine Disaster Monument
2006 explosion in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. Memorial remembers the 12 victims.
- Sago Rd, Sago, WV
- South of Buckhannon, intersection of Sago Road/ Co Rt 30/7 and Gould Sago Rd. - Tallmansville Road. At the end of the Baptist Church parking lot.
Visitor Tips and News About Sago Mine Disaster Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Sago Mine Disaster Monument
An explosion on January 2, 2006 in the Sago Coal Mine trapped 13 miners for nearly two days. One miner survived. The monument, which features the shape of a miner's helmet in granite, names all the victims.
There's another memorial about the disaster in Philippi, WV.
[Michael Patrick Kenefick, 07/28/2010]
August 31, 2016
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Bridge Walk: 88 Stories High, Fayetteville, West Virginia
- Replica Space Monsters for Sale, Flatwoods, West Virginia
- Shoney's Big Boy Museum, Charleston, West Virginia
- Armpit Sniffing Statue, Beckley, West Virginia
- Dairy Queen Eskimo Sign, Grafton, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Dala Horse, Mora, Minnesota
- Hobby Horse House - Home of Doll Lady, Matlacha, Florida
- Feature: Jefferson Davis: Diversity Dad, Biloxi, Mississippi
- Feature: Jennie Wade, Bread Martyr: See the Bullet Hole, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
- Smoky - World War II Hero Dog Monument, Cleveland, Ohio